October 8, 2008

pendleton woolen mills

October 8th, there is an unmistakable feeling in the air... familiar, yet unsatisfying. Autumn is among us; winter rapidly approaching, the battle has begun. Wait, what? I need to start over. It's fall... I live on the east coast. Normally I dread the winter: blustery winds,  early sunsets, the need for socks. Something about my mood is different this year. I'm stoked, surprisingly I feel quite optimistic. I've moved to a new city, I'm back in school, I have a beautiful group of friends (the fam), and a private deck (hot tub pending). Things are good.

I recently read Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron: an 85 page account of crippling, nearly suicidal depression, suffered by an author at the peak of his career. I didn't choose to read this tale of anguish for pleasure, honestly I hadn't even known of it's existence. Styron's book was assigned to my non-fiction literature class. A course taught by a woman medicated for clinical depression (bi-polar disorder) for nearly 25 years. I myself have been diagnosed with common depression and anxiety at one time, not to the severity of Styron or my professor, Dr. Donahue, but a note worth mentioning. Anyway, my point; this book is short, everyone should read it... I have no doubt in my mind that its saved a few lives and most importantly it sheds light on an issue which has been widely ignored up until the past decade: depression-a disease which requires medical attention and support by loved ones.

Also, this: "because in the middle of this eternal winter there is within us an invincible summer!"

PS.


4 comments:

a. jane doe said...

omg everyone has a blog!!!
also: omg neighbors.

Anonymous said...

um. what even are those people? if they are juggalos, they are the worst juggalos ever!

Anonymous said...

Gary! It's Nicole. Got to your blog via Chelsea's. Apparently blogging is what all the cool kids are doing, because I recently made one too.
http://justforthehalibut.tumblr.com

Teknik Informatika said...

How is the atmosphere of the new city you live in? did you find new creativity there?